I haven’t posted a blog in a VERY VERY long time. I shall begin to remedy this promptly.
Since my past post in 2009 I’ve grown enormously in my research and knowledge of both clothing and life in the 16th century. I’ll try to get a few diaries and patterns up as well as complete photos and progress shots.
But, let me start with the start. This is me in 2009 in the first thing I ever made (beyond that one bag in sewing classes when I was 12). It was at Montengarde 12th Night (photo courtesy Falashad on Flickr) and inspired by Hans Holbien’s painting.
|Me. 2009. First Garb!|
|Portrait of Dorthea Meyer – Hans Holbein the Younger (1525)|
Iain Gutherie patterned the bodice for me, and I did it NO justice in the end. Lemme tell you, this was an optimistic first try. I have yet to re-attempt the gown. Its a great attempt though, I am pretty proud of this all things considered!
How I did it
A bunch of triangles and little tiny cartridge pleats around the neck…. maybe?
?? Your guess is as good as mine. It doesn’t look too bad though eh!
Lining – 100% cotton
Interlining – Jean denim
Red Fashion – Questionably 100% cotton drill
Black guards – Questionable content plain weave “wool”
How I did it
This was a VERY long time ago. So I don’t have many details on my process other then a LOT of tea, frustration, and seam ripping.
I started with zigzagging all the edges of all the pieces… so I had some good direction!
The lining and interlining on the bodice is sewing good side to good side then flipped right side in and pressed. Since I used inappropriate materials, and didn’t know about clipping allowance, I ended up running a stitch along the neck and front to minimize bubbling along that edge.
The bodice was WAY too big around the waist and fit funny so I ended up putting a little pleat in the back where it attaches to the skirt to make it look better.
The sleeves are probably unlined and sewn in right side to right side then flipped over. I didn’t know much about seam finishing, so they are all bulky and raw inside.
The skirt is a vague approximation of a knife pleat. The neck guard runs down the length of the front of the skirt and then into the hem guards. I liked the look at the time, but totally undocumented.
It is closed with hooks and eyes.
Ok, this is pretty redundant since it’s my first ever sewing project. But I really DID learn a lot from both those helping me, and my own mistakes. I guess it wasn’t too bad, since I haven’t stopped making stuff yet!