Coronation Wear – Arnsbjorn

As I said in a previous post, some friends of mine did an thing, that thing allowed me to step out of my 16th C costuming head and jump into 10th C for a bit.  The time between Arnsbjorn winning Crown to Coronation was very short.  Normally heirs have 8-12 weeks to prepare for their step up, because of changing calendar schedules, Arnsbjorn and Inga only had 4 weeks.  “Simple” you might say for a viking step up, its all rectangles and nothing is fitted.  You’d be wrong.  Inga wanted a simple apron dress, undergown, and a front panel.  Most of her “wow” would be in bling and beauties applied to the garments.  Arnsbjorn needed a whole new outfit; he spends most of his SCA time working on domestic things or wearing fight kit.

Challenges

Most of the fabric’s for both outfits came from mine and Inga’s fabric stash.  The problem was that the red linen in my stash is not the colour of red they wanted.  1.5 weeks into the process, they ordered some more linen from Fabric-Store.  From the sample card Inga has, they thought they wanted the Redwood in IL019 (5.3oz 100% linen).  On a whim they also ordered Crimson in the same weight.

Shipping between Canada and the USA can be a challenge.  Customs and international borders delay deliveries and we couldn’t afford a delay.  Even shipping priority USPS (recommended by the retailer) the Linen didn’t arrive until 10 business days after being ordered.  This put us 1 week away from Coronation with the fabric still “on the bolt”.

When the linen’s arrived, the Redwood was much more orange then the same card or image online.  Thankfully the Crimson was much closer to their choice and we went with that.  The Redwood was a good tone for Sigurd’s coat (created by Inga and Brangwyn).

The Inspriation

Arnsbjorn wanted something different.  Below is the inspiration image.

From a Calendar (sorry no proper citation, not my calendar)

The mantle was sourced out to Ellsif and Una in Calgary. The pants (not visible) were made by Inga.  That left me with the coat and shirt.
Shirt

2.5 yards IL019 (5.3 oz) bleached white linen
White cotton thread
The original image has a shirt with a tall collar that opens on the side with some red embroidered details.  Arnsbjorn didn’t want the tall collar, and we didn’t have time for embroidered details. 
The shirt is machine sewn with hand finished seams.  Small amounts of fiddling with the neck hole were required, but it came out fitting nicely.
Arnsbjorn at Coronation, photo courtesy Beothuk on Flickr
Coat
Crimson 5.3oz linen (IL019 from Fabrics-Store)
Yellow Linen
Black & Yellow tablet woven trim (By Driffa)
Black, Red & Yellow cotton thread
The pattern for the coat was based on the measurements for the shirt. I made a mock up in flannel and fit it to Arnsbjorn.  With the mock up trial, we found it would be a challenge to sit in so we decided to open up the back and make a riding coat. We wanted the hem guard and wrist guards in yellow linen and edged with the tablet trim.  We decided on far fewer bands and buttons on the chest, as well as opening in the front fully as a coat instead of the tunic in the original image.  
Instead of gores in the sides to make a skirt I decided to “show opulence” and make the skirt lines flow by cutting the skirt as part of the body.  The sleeves were made longer then the shirt and slightly larger to give the fullness shown in the original.
The bands along the buttons were 4.5″ x 2″ strips of yellow linen and 4″ of the tablet trim.
There was quite a bit of fiddling after the pattern was cut in Linen and assembled.  Necklines are the bane of my existence and Arnsbjorn is so thick through the chest, my automatic adjustments didn’t work on his sleeves and shoulders.  
Once we had a nicely fitting coat, I started adding guards.  They are 4″ and 3″ on the hem and wrists respectively. The yellow rolls over the underside of the red linen and then is stitched down with a stab stitch along the top of the guard.  A row of black and yellow tablet trim is running stitched along the top of the guard to break of up transition from red to yellow.
Tablet trim on yellow band
The bands were assembled by cutting and finishing the yellow linen bands, then applying the tablet trim to make 1 piece to apply to the coat.
Arnsbjron at Coronation
Photo by Beothuk on Flickr
Button loops were made of 1/8″ wide double folded linen strips and attached under the bands.
Although I was sewing trim in the truck on the way to the event and on site, the final product was stunning and I am proud to have been able to make this for him.
Advertisements

Author: frohlichefrau

An active member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, I am known as Adelheid Holtzhauer. An avid historical costumer I focus on the working class in 16th Century Germany. I also research and create many other eras of clothing. I am an active member of the Barony of Borealis (Edmonton, AB) and the currently hold the office of the Kingdom of Avacal's Minister of Arts & Sciences.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s